Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Investigating the Holy Spirit

My dad gave me a book by Charles Stanley called "The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life". The book details Stanley's investigation of the Holy Spirit and how He guides our lives- but it isn't as easy as it might sound. Very good read so far, and I'll report more on it later.

The concept of the Holy Spirit has always been vague to me at best. Raised in the Catholic Church all I ever knew was that it was part of the Trinity and the "Lord, the giver of life". But it ended there. Most churches don't teach on the Holy Spirit. Most salvation focused mega churches end at being saved, or limit their teachings to Jesus Christ alone.

If I still have any readers after my 4-month hiatus- Who is the Holy Spirit?

4 comments:

DB said...

If I still have any readers after my 4-month hiatus- Who is the Holy Spirit?

Dude, I am still reading, though not the target audience lol...but I have no idea. I have always been curious what the concept (outside of the Catholic Church's view) of the Holy Ghost plays in Christianity. It was only a term I would hear said, but never explained.

Anonymous said...

The Holy Spirit is not an it, but a He and the third person of the Trinity. Simply stated, He is God's spirit that is given to every believe upon salvation. He is Jesus abiding in us. Jesus identified him in the gospels. In John 16:
"But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. By submitting to the Holy Spirit, you are abiding in Christ. He guides us into truth and He is necessary for us to understand spirtual things. That is why non-believers don't understand the concepts of God, 1Cor. 2:14 " The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."
More to follow-

Kinggame said...

Holy flippin answer from the anonymous. I feel awkward even writing something after that. Time for a sexist joke?

Anonymous said...

Time for a new post McQ